Let's connect:

Subscribe to my youtube

Friday 9 September 2016

NATURAL HAIR UPDATE | #TEAMHEALTHYHAIR




 Necklace: Lovisa | Lip color : Mac Ruby Woo



It's been 8 months since I did the big chop and said goodbye to relaxers on a quest to grow my hair in it's natural state (ie. Afro aka 4C aka Kinky Coils), in a healthy way  and I am still going strong.

Sept 2016




The reason I made this decisions was because I had gotten tired of  always cutting my hair every year due to damage from too many relaxers, excessive heat and so forth. I was also so sick of the relaxer burning my scalp and leaving me with scabs which seemed to be getting worse as time went on.

I had been following natural hair blogs and youtube gurus for years so I felt I had enough information to make this well informed decision and had read a lot about hair care in general to maintain health and length.

I have not done a length check as yet but I can confirm that I have about 100% shrinkage lol.

Although it was a struggle I have managed to  fight off  the temptation to relax so far  but I did succumb to colouring / dyeing which I see as a minor set back since It's less damaging in comparison to the frequent heat and relaxers...plus the colouring I was exposing my self to.

April 2016

My main issue at the moment is dryness which I had anticipated because I have already coloured my hair about 4 times and I even bleached the hair before dying it red.

May / June 2016


I have not really been to a hair salon since my hair cut because I am avoiding the use of heat all together until I reach a point where by I feel my hair is too long to be managed at home.

Currently I wash my hair twice a week and deep condition three times a month with no heat. I am always switching up the products though lol.  only because I am still in search for a product that will completely satisfy all my hair needs. 

I am also busy trying to develop a regimen I can stick to for at least up to  a year.

When I heard that Dark and Lovely SA was launching their Au Naturale hair range in the country which is  formulated for natural (unrelaxed) hair I believe, I was so exited and I can't wait to try out these products.

Image from : http://www.zkhiphani.co.za


I have also discovered that I have what is known as "low porosity" hair which means I need to use heat when deep conditioning in order to help open up the tightly bound cuticle so if I cant find a hooded dryer i will def head to the nearest hair salon & cross my fingers for a wonderful hairstylist. lol

My staple product so far which I use on a daily basis is pure virgin coconut oil which I apply daily and I believe this has helped minimise breakage.



I also avoid combing the hair on a daily basis through protective styling ie. by keeping it in cornrows and wearing lace wigs/ head wraps/ hats most of the time




Let me top  right here, I will write more on this my next update :-)

Have a great day lovelies.

P.S to see how I achieved the make up look featured on these pictures watch the video below or click here



 

Take care..
Nan xx





4 comments:

  1. Remove the backing from the adhesive tape strips and then put the wig on the adhesive tape. Apply the wig by pressing it onto the adhesive tape for sometime. synthetic wigs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.. click for more info

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was extremely all around composed and straightforward. Not at all like different online journals I have perused which are truly not that good.Thanks a lot russian blonde full lace wig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its an incredible joy perusing your post.Its brimming with data I am searching for and I want to post a remark that "The substance of your post is magnificent" Great work.  thelondonhairclinic

    ReplyDelete

);